(The Canadian Press circulated the following on May 17.)
MONTREAL — CN Rail is dropping its lawsuit against the Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte over a blockade of a rail line in eastern Ontario.
The lawsuit will still go ahead, however, against the protesters and the organizer of the blockade, Shawn Brant, who are to appear in court Thursday. CN is suing to recover damages it says were incurred last month during a 30-hour blockade of a rail crossing near Deseronto, Ont.
“We have decided to discontinue legal action after receiving sworn evidence that the chief and the council did not authorize or approve of the illegal blockade,” CN spokesman Mark Hallman told the Belleville Intelligencer.
In a statement released Wednesday, CN acknowledged the chief and the band council never approved of the protest that halted rail traffic on the busy Toronto-Ottawa and Toronto-Montreal corridors.
None of the claims made by the railway have been proven in court, nor has a statement of defence been filed on behalf of any of the named parties.
The protesters, led by Brant, are demanding the licence to a nearby quarry on disputed land known as the Culbertson Tract be revoked until a claim is settled.
“CN’s policy is to promote solid relationships with First Nations across its network in Canada,” the company’s statement said.
“But we will continue to take legal action against any individual who engages in illegal activities that disrupt or damage our transportation business.”
In the statement, band chief R. Donald Maracle said band council is in favour of peaceful negotiations.
“Protests and blockades do not help to advance First Nations objectives in ongoing negotiations,” he said.